Congratulations – to all of the CFL Tri Club members that participated in the Courage to Tri race this past weekend. We came in 1st at Division 2! Awesome job!
Using a Power Meter on a Hilly Course – Joel Friel
In a hilly, long course race, your focus must be on “smoothing” the course. The power on uphills must be restricted by gearing down and keeping your power output below your functional threshold power (FTP) (or even lower on longer climbs). The typical newcomer to long distance racing pushes far to hard on hills, especially early int he race, and pays the price later as high fatigue sets in.
- For short climbs of up to 5 min duration, athletes should consider an effort ceiling of 90 – 100 percent of FTP.
- For longer climbs, consider an effort ceiling of 80 – 90 percent of FTP
- For all climbs, it is very important to “save some watts” for cresting the apex of the climb. Novices tent to have their highs twatts at the base of a climb. The intelligent athlete will have his or her highest watts over the top of a climb and accelerate down the backside. Experienced power users know that higher lactate levels can be cleared during the descent and after the rider has returned to cruising speed.
- On the downhill side, stop pedaling and coast in the aero position when your pedaling cadence becomes so high tat you begin to breathe more heavily. If in doubt, coast the downhills so long as your speed is well above your average for the race. – Going Long 2nd Edition, 2009, Pg 158.
Weekly Schedule: August 17 – 24, 2014
Enclosed you will find the schedule for this week. Keep in mind you have the following countdown of your races:
- Ironman Chattanooga
- Augusta 70.3 – September, 2014
- Miami 70.3 – October 2014
- Ironman Hawaii – October 11, 2014
- Ironman Florida – November 1, 2014
- Rev 3 – November 9, 2014
- Ironman Cozumel – November 30, 2014
- Monday – 5:30 am – Aquatic Center – Swim
- Tuesday – 5:00 am – Downtown YMCA – Bike Trainer / Run
- Wednesday – 5:30 am – Aquatic Center – Swim
- Thursday – 5:00 am – Downtown YMCA – Bike Trainer / Run
- 5:30 am – Aquatic Center – Swim
- 7:30 am – Advanced Cycle – Easy / Endurance Ride led by Advanced Cycle.
– Tri Peak Athlete, LLC – 5:30 am – Towards Clermont and must have lights – 4 hour – 5 hours– Kilarney Station – 7:00 am – 3 hour ride
- Sunday – 6:00 am – Downtown YMCA